Novak Djokovic: ‘I’m not feeling added US Open pressure despite Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal absence’
Novak Djokovic insists he doesn’t feel any added pressure despite the absence of rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal as he is expected to win no matter who he plays.
The Serb star is the overwhelming favourite to win the US pen this year, with only really Dominic Thiem and Daniil Medvedev credited with a realistic, if still outside, chance of stopping him.
However, he says that expectation does not increase the pressure on him, and he certainly didn’t show any signs of creaking against Kyle Edmund on Wednesday.
“I don’t feel any additional pressure compared with the pressure that is always there,” Djokovic told Eurosport in their revolutionary Cub studio.
“As a top player you are expected to win every single match, especially on the big stage. I learned over the years how to face the pressure.
Thrilled to welcome men’s world number one @DjokerNole into the new Eurosport Cube mixed-reality studio to discuss his second round win with @babsschett, what it is like to play in front of an empty stadium and how he deals with the pressure that comes with being Novak Djokovic. pic.twitter.com/jawgkbxMU2
— Eurosport (@Eurosport) September 2, 2020
“I recall a wonderful quote from Billie-Jean King on the entrance to the Arthur Ashe stadium – “Pressure is a privilege”.
“I stand by that kind of quote and kind of a mindset. I accept it, it’s not the last time I’ll get to play on the centre court.
“I think my experience helps. Of course, in 99% of the matches against you, your opponents don’t have anything to lose against you and they are going to go for their best tennis.
“But that’s good for me, I think, because it makes me bring my A-Game and intensity from the very beginning.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner