‘Novak Djokovic criticism is cheap’ – Dominic Thiem defends world number one after Adria Tour disaster
Dominic Thiem has jumped to the defence of Novak Djokovic following the coronavirus outbreak on the Adria Tour.
Djokovic was the principal organiser of the event, which played in front of packed crowds and did not partake in any kind of social distancing.
It had to be abruptly cancelled though when several players, including Novak Djokovic himself, and staff members tested positive for coronavirus.
That has seen a wave of criticism come the way of Djokovic.
“He didn’t commit a crime,” Thiem told Austrian publication Tageszeitung of the world number one.
“We all made mistakes, but I don’t understand all the criticism. I’ve been to Nice and also saw pictures from other cities.
“It’s no different from Belgrade during the tournament. It’s too cheap to shoot at Djokovic now.”
Thiem also backed his friend Alexander Zverev, who came under fire after being pictured partying when he was supposed to be self-quarantining following the Adria Tour.
Nick Kyrgios has been especially critical of the German for that, but Thiem isn’t having it at all.
“It was his mistake, but I don’t understand why a lot of people want to interfere. Kyrgios did a lot of mistakes himself.
“It would be better for him to come clean instead of criticising others.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner