Novak Djokovic blasted by Vienna tournament director for ‘unnecessary’ comments
Herwig Straka, the tournament director for the Vienna Open, has criticised Novak Djokovic for saying he was ‘completely fine’ with his shock defeat to Lorenzo Sonego.
Djokovic opted to play Vienna to get the two wins he needed to secure the year-end world number one spot, but as soon as that was done he slumped to a dismal 6-2, 6-1 defeat to Sonego.
It was his first ever loss to a lucky loser and the worst defeat statistically of his entire career, yet afterwards he was completely remorseless.
“Yes, clinching the [year-end] number one had an effect on me today,” Djokovic said.
“I’ve done what I came here for, securing the number one. And I move completely fine with today’s result.
Straka, however, did not take kindly to the comments, even if he did stop short of accusing the world number one of tanking.
“I find such statements unnecessary,” Straka told Der Standard following Djokovic’s defeat.
“Even if you would think so, you don’t say that in any press conference.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner