Naomi Osaka battles past resurgent Victoria Azarenka to win second US Open title In New York
Naomi Osaka has won her second US Open title, and third career Grand Slam crown, after she beat Victoria Azarenka in New York.
The Japanese star walked out onto Arthur Ashe the clear favourite, but she endured a horrendous first set against the resurgent Belarusian.
However, after recovering a break in the second set, she powered back into the match, and eventually overpowered her opponent to win 1-6, 6-3, 6-3.
“I didn’t want to play you in more finals. That was really tough for me. I used to watch you. To have the opportunity to play you is really great.
“I want to thank all my people, my mom, my dad, my sister. I wouldn’t be here without you guys.
— Ben Rothenberg (@BenRothenberg) September 12, 2020
After winning the match, Osaka walked to the other end of the court and lay down, but she said there was a very simple – and pragmatic – explanation.
“I always see everyone collapse after match point. But I wanted to do it safely.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner