Nadal tips youngster for huge future, saying: ‘He has everything – he is a candidate for world number one’
Jannik Sinner has been hailed as a future world number one by Toni Nadal, who says he ‘has everything’ required to be a major force in tennis.
Sinner has been one of the stories of the tournament as the teenager has powered his way past the likes of David Goffin and Alexander Zverev to advance into his first Grand Slam quarterfinal.
Next up for the Italian is a match against Rafael Nadal, and it’s one Toni admits he is slightly wary about.
“He has everything to become one of the best players of the next generation,” Toni Nadal said of Sinner. “He is for sure a candidate for world number one.
“It will be difficult for Rafael, but he has the qualities to win.
“On Sunday, against Alexander Zverev, Sinner was on top the whole match. Zverev didn’t play at a very high level, but Sinner is a very good player.”
Despite his inexperience, Sinner already has a fine record against top ten players.
As well as Zverev this week, he beat Stefanos Tsitsipas recently at the Rome Masters. He also beat Goffin when he was in the top ten at Rotterdam earlier this year.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner