Libema Open 2020 preview
The Libema Open is a grass court event in Netherlands that will run from 6th June – 14th June 2020. The tournament is played in the first week of the grass court season and is part of the men’s ATP 250 Series and WTA International Series.
Founded 30 years ago, the Libema Open has been home to some classic encounters such as, Justine Henin and Kim Clijster’s three set battle in 2001. Two Dutchmen have won this event with former Wimbledon champion, Richard Krajicek taking the title in 1994 and 1997, and Sjeng Schalken triumphing in 2002 and 2003.
Stefanos Tsitsipas will play this event and he will want to improve on his first round loss to Nicolas Jarry in the first round last year. Tsitsipas has accumulated some great results in his young career, as he triumphed at the ATP Finals in November and is a Grand Slam semi-finalist.
David Goffin will return to Netherlands after making the quarter-finals in 2019. Goffin has been under the radar lately, however he is still ranked in the top 10.
Two-time Wimbledon semi-finalist, Richard Gasquet won this tournament in 2018 and made the semi-finals.
Alison Riske is the defending champion and grass is by far her most comfortable surface. Riske made her first Grand Slam quarter-final appearance at Wimbledon last year and nearly toppled Serena Williams.
Kiki Bertens made the final of this event last year and could make a return to her home tournament. Bertens held five championship points before losing to Riske.
Where is the tournament held?
The tournament is held at the Autotron Rosmalen venue in Rosmalen, Netherlands
What dates does the tournament run?
6th June – 14th June, 2020
What court surface is the tournament played on?
The tournament is played on outdoor grass
How many players and how many seeds are in the draw?
There are 28 players and eight seeds in the men’s singles. There are 32 players and eight seeds in the women’s singles.
Ranking Points, Men’s Singles
Winner – 250 points
Finalist – 150 points
Semi-finalist – 90 points
Quarter-finalist – 45 points
Round of 16 – 20 points
Round of 28 – Zero points
Ranking Points, Women’s Singles
Winner – 280 points
Finalist – 180 points
Semi-finalist – 110 points
Quarter-finalist – 60 points
Round of 16 – 30 points
Round of 28 – One point
Where can I buy tickets for the tournament?
Tickets can be bought here at http://libema-open.nl/en/
How can I follow the tournament without going there?
You can follow the tournament through their official Twitter here https://twitter.com/libemaopen?lang=en
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner