Laver Cup confirm 2022 edition to be held at London’s O2 Arena: ‘It is the perfect setting’
The O2 Arena London will host the fifth Laver Cup from 23rd-25th September 2022, following the 2021 delayed edition in Boston.
The Laver Cup, which will not be taking place in Boston this year due to the pandemic, has been extremely popular since its launch in 2017, with sell out crowds in Prague, Chicago and Geneva.
The event, which pays homage to Australian tennis legend, Rod Laver, is played on black hardcourt, with six of the best players from Europe and the Rest of the World competing in a combination of singles and doubles matches over three days in a Ryder Cup style format.
Team Europe, captained by Björn Borg and spearheaded by Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, and Rafael Nadal, have defeated the Rest of the World in each of the three editions thus far, winning most recently in Geneva by a 13-11 scoreline.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer, who has won all six of his singles matches at the Laver Cup, is excited about the prospect of London’s O2 hosting the 2022 edition: “London has always held a special place in my heart and it’s going to be incredible to bring the Laver Cup to one of my favourite cities in the world. I know the British fans will love the way the Laver Cup brings together the top players in the world while paying respect and recognition to the legends of our game.”
“London’s O2 is one of the world’s most iconic music and entertainment venues,” Laver Cup CEO Steve Zacks said. “It is the perfect setting for the Laver Cup to create an unrivalled fan experience.”
The ATP World Tour Finals, will take place in the O2 Arena in November for the twelfth and final time before moving to Turin in 2021, but elite level tennis will soon return to the iconic venue in 2022 as Europe and the Rest of the World go head to head.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner