‘The knee still bothers me so we have to wait and see’ – Juan Martin del Potro gives injury update
Juan Martin del Potro has delivered an injury update as he returns to practice, although it doesn’t sound entirely positive.
The Argentinian’s career has been plagued with wrist injuries throughout his career, but broke down in November 2018 with a fractured kneecap.
He fought his way back to fitness but re-injured the same knee at Queen’s last summer, and he hasn’t competed since.
In January he underwent surgery, and a recent report from Argentina painted a positive picture of his comeback.
However, Del Potro has looked to curb expectations, insisting that his prospects are still very much unknown.
The 31-year-old posted a picture on Instagram of him holding his racket, along with the message: “Today I came to spend the day with my friend!
View this post on Instagram
Hoy vine a pasar el día con mi amiga! 😊 Quería contarles que en estos días volví a entrenarme y a practicar de a poco en la cancha. La rodilla aún me molesta así que estamos probando cómo evoluciona. Si bien no hay fechas ciertas, una vez más estoy dando todo para seguir haciendo lo que amo. Gracias por el amor que me dan siempre. #FelizDiaDelAmigo 🙌🤗 . . Today I came to spend the day with my friend! I wanted to tell you that these days I started to hit again. The knee still bothers me so we have to see how it evolves. Although I have no schedule, once again I am taking all the necessary steps to continue doing what I love. Thank you for the love you always give me. #HappyFriendsDay
“I wanted to tell you that these days I started to hit again,” he wrote on Instagram.
“The knee still bothers me so we have to see how it evolves.
“Although I have no schedule, once again I am taking all the necessary steps to continue doing what I love.
“Thank you for the love you always give me.”
Juan Martin del Potro won the US Open in 2009 before his wrist injuries took hold of his career.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner