‘Jannik Sinner can crack top ten this year – his tennis is universal,’ says former French Open champion
Former French Open champion Adriano Panatta has tipped compatriot Jannik Sinner to break the top ten this year after describing his tennis as ‘universal’.
Sinner made a real impression in 2020, beating both Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas in memorable matches and winning his first ATP Tour title in Sofia.
He ended the year inside the top 40, but Panetta believes he is only just cracking the surface of his massive potential.
“Jannik Sinner has excellent qualities, and he could crack the top-10 this year,” Panetta told the Italian press.
“He proved to have what it takes to be a champion, beating Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas.
“Jannik built a great team around him, with people who know how to teach him and keep him on the right path. [He] reasons like he is 25 or 26, while he still has to grow physically.
“Riccardo Piatti is taking small steps with him, keeping Jannik away from big expectations in his early years on the Tour.
“Jannik’s tennis is universal, and it works well on both hard and clay.
“Still, he will lose some matches against the lower-ranked rivals; that always happens.
“For Jannik, it is essential to avoid injuries in the season ahead of us and play and many encounters as possible and gather experience.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner