‘Jannik Sinner is pure talent,’ says Roger Federer’s coach Ivan Ljubicic
Jannik Sinner is ‘pure talent’ according to Roger Federer coach Ivan Ljubicic, who thinks his skiing background is a big asset.
Sinner came to tennis after initially being a star of youth skiing, with Italian slopes star Alberto Tomba his hero.
It is in tennis where he is truly excelling though, and he made a big breakthrough in 2020, finishing the year ranked 37 in the world and becoming the youngest plyer to win an ATP Tour title in 12 years.
And, according to Ljubicic, there is a lot more still to come.
“Jannik Sinner is pure talent, in the technical, mental and physical terms,” Ljubicic told the Italian press.
“These three things together are useful if you want to be Alberto Tomba in tennis.
“In my opinion, he is taking step by step, winning one small title in Sofia so far and knowing how hard he has to work to reach the top.”
Depite Sinner’s fine 2020, Ljubicic believes his finest result came in a match he lost.
“For me, his best result came at Roland Garros, when he challenged Rafael Nadal for two sets.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner