‘I’m very, very happy!’- Podoroska celebrates historic French Open run
Argentine Nadia Podoroska expressed her delight after becoming the first qualifier in French Open history to reach the last four at Roland Garros.
In a tournament full of surprise results Podoroska pulled off one of the most surprising of all on Tuesday, beating third seed and highly-fancied title contender Elina Svitolina 6-2, 6-4 to reach the semi-finals.
In just her second Grand Slam main draw appearance and first since the US Open four years ago, the Argentine is the first qualifier to reach a semi-final at a major since Alexandra Stevenson at Wimbledon in 1999
After her victory against Svitolina yesterday in what was her first ever match against a top 20 opponent, Podoroska could not hold back her delight.
“I’m very, very happy,” said the Argentine. “It’s difficult for me to speak after the match, but thanks to everyone for the support.”
Podoroska also credited an extended period of coaching with her team during lockdown as a key reason for her breakthrough run.
“I’ve been training a lot with all of my team and I think that’s why I’m here today,” commented the qualifier.
Podoroska will next be in action when she plays unseeded Iga Swiatek tomorrow for a place in Saturday’s final, in what is the first all-unseeded major semi-final since the French Open in 1983.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner