‘I’m completely sick’ – Alexander Zverev reveals he played French Open match with coronavirus symptoms
Alexander Zverev has revealed he has coronavirus symptoms after being knocked out of the French Open on Sunday.
The German reached the US Open final last month but was completely outclassed by Italian teenager Jannik Sinner in Paris.
He, though, said the symptoms started after his last match two days previously, meaning he opted to play despite the symptoms.
“No it was nothing wrong but I am completely sick after the match with [Marco] Cecchinato in the night,” Zverev explained.
“Yeah, what can I say? I’m completely sick. I can’t really breathe, as you can hear by my voice. I had fever, you know, as well.
“I’m not in the best physical state, I would say. I think that had a little bit of an effect on the match today.
‘I warmed up today; I shouldn’t have played.”
Zverev was also asked if he had been tested recently for coronavirus, but refused to answer, claiming it was because he had a problem with the journalist who asked it.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner