‘I was outplayed by a better player,’ admits Novak Djokovic after Rafael Nadal French Open thrashing
Novak Djokovic admitted he was beaten by ‘a better player’ on the day after losing the Roland Garros final to Rafael Nadal.
Nadal overpowered the Serbian star 6-0. 6-2, 7-5 in Paris to win his 13th French Open and draw level with Roger Federer at the top of the career Grand Slam charts.
Djokovic – who could have become the first man to win all four Grand Slams twice if he had won – was philosophical in defeat, choosing to pay tribute to his rival instead of offer any excuses.
“I want to say a huge congratulations to Rafa, your team and your family, “Djokovic said on court after the match.
“What you are doing on this court is unbelievable and not just on this court
“Today you showed why you are king of the clay. I have experienced it.
“I am not so pleased with the way I played but I was definitely outplayed by a better player on the court today.
“It’s been a fantastic couple of weeks. The situation is very difficult for everyone worldwide but we have the possibility to play the sport we love.
“Thank you to everyone who made this tournament possible.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner