“I really enjoy playing on this surface”- Humbert embraces clay after top ten win
Rising French star Ugo Humbert has said that he enjoys playing on clay after his win over Daniil Medvedev at the Hamburg European Open last night.
22-year-old Humbert defeated the Russian in straight sets in the opening round of action at the tournament to pick up his first ever win over a top ten player on the ATP Tour. “The victory is really good. There are plenty of positives” commented the Frenchman after his win yesterday.
The world number 41 also said “I really enjoy playing on this surface [clay],” which may bode well for his chances at his home Grand Slam tournament at the French Open this year and in the future.
Humbert currently sits at a career high ranking and won his first ATP Title in Auckland back in January, as well as reaching the second week at a Grand Slam tournament for the first time at Wimbledon last summer. The Frenchman looked primed for a breakthrough season before tennis was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
He reached the second round at the US Open a few weeks ago and will be hoping for a better run at his home tournament of Roland Garros, which starts this Sunday. The Frenchman will face Jiri Vesely next in Hamburg.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner