‘I just love the emotions’- Belgian rising star celebrates breakthrough in Antwerp
World number 528 Zizou Bergs said he loves the emotions of tennis after picking up a huge win in the opening round of the European Open in Antwerp.
Playing on home soil, Bergs defeated world number 45 Albert Ramos-Vinolas 7-5, 7-5 in one of the biggest upsets in terms of ranking difference in recent history.
Bergs was playing in his first main draw ATP Tour match, having lost three times in qualifying in Antwerp previously, and celebrated his love for the sport after his win over the Spaniard.
He said: “I’m definitely a guy who loves emotions. I have amazing friends, amazing family and I’m playing at home in Belgium, in Antwerp.
“It’s just really why I want to play tennis, because I like the atmosphere. Those are things that I live for.”
The 21-year-old, who has been ranked inside the top 400 at some stages throughout his career, received a wildcard into the main draw and will next face third seed Karen Khachanov.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner