‘I hope US Open win changes my career,’ says Dominic Thiem as he targets more major titles
Dominic Thiem says he hopes his US Open win changes his career helps propel him to many more Grand Slam titles in the future.
Thiem somehow managed to beat Alexander Zverev in New York on Sunday despite looking down and out on more than one occasion during an absorbing US Open final.
He managed to hang on in there and get over the line to win a major title at the fourth time of asking, winning it in a dramatic fifth-set tiebreak.
However, while it may have been his first Grand Slam crown, he certainly hopes it isn’t his last.
“I hope that it doesn’t change my life because my life cannot depend on success. That would be wrong,” Dominic Thiem told ATPTour.com.
“But I hope it definitely changes my career. I achieved the biggest goal so far that I set for myself.
“I hope that it lets me play more free and even better tennis in the next big tournaments coming up.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner