‘I don’t know when I will play next’ – Former Roland Garros finalist rejects wildcard and puts comeback on hold
Former world number one Kim Clijsters has rejected a Roland Garros wildcard admitted she ‘doesn’t know when she will play next.’
Clijsters, a former French Open finalist, world number one, and four-time Grand Slam winner, made a comeback on the WTA Tour at the age of 37 this year.
She showed glimpses of the old quality before injury ended her hopes in the US Open first round, but she says her comeback is on hold for now – starting with the French Open.
“I have decided to spend the next few weeks with my family,” Clijsters announced to her followers on Twitter.
“NYC showed how much progress I’ve made & also what I need to work on. Not sure where I’ll play next but will let you know soon.
“For now, back to training & school lunches!”
“I have had many firsts and exciting matches on clay in my career and they all hold special memories for me. Good luck to all the players and tournaments.”
Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard, a former Wimbledon finalist, has accepted a wildcard for Roland Garros, though.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner