‘I don’t know how much longer Roger Federer will play for,’ admits Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal admits he has no idea how long it will be until Roger Federer retires, but he hopes it isn’t soon.
Nadal and Federer have a stories rivalry over the years, although high-stakes matches have become rarer in recent times.
Federer is 39-years-old now and on the verge of returning to tennis after a year out with a knee injury.
And, while Nadal says he has no insight into Federer’s future plans, he does admit he hopes his Grand Slam winning days are behind him – so he has a better chance of taking the record.
“I don’t know how long he is going to keep on going,” Nadal said of Federer.
“I think it’s great if you ask me if I’d rather be the one to win the Grand Slam [race], yeah I would.
“I think it’s also good for tennis that Federer comes back with a fighting spirit, and we have this rivalry.
“I think that this makes this sport much larger, looking at it from a global point of view, not from my personal point of view.
“I think it’s entertaining and good for our sport.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner