‘I couldn’t believe I was doing the same thing as Novak Djokovic’ – A tale of Serb’s superstardom
If you ever questioned the superstar appeal of Novak Djokovic, then New Zealand hockey ace Rose Keddell is ready to prove you wrong.
Djokovic is often, perhaps unfairly, regarded as tennis’ third star behind Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, but when he is around, people get excited.
Keddell recalled a story from the 2016 Rio Olympics when her and he team mates were in the Olympic Village.
“I remember we were sitting in the dining area one day and everyone was running over to the tennis court because Novak Djokovic was having a hit,” Keddell said.
“All of a sudden I was like, ‘Wow, I’m at this event and so is Djokovic. I can’t believe I’m playing at the same thing that he is.’
“It’s a weird realisation that you’re actually there,” Keddell added.
Djokovic has a single Olympic medal to his name – a bronze from the 2008 singles.
He has, though, signalled his intent to try again when the Olympics head to Tokyo in 2021.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner