“I can get back into top five”- Jelena Ostapenko sets ambitious goals ahead of Roland Garros
Former world number five and 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko is targeting a return to the top five and further Grand Slam success ahead of this year’s tournament at Roland Garros.
Ostapenko was ranked just inside the top 50 when she beat Simona Halep to win her first career title at the French Open in 2017. The Latvian reached a career high of fifth in the months after that and was a Wimbledon semi-finalist in 2018, though has largely struggled since her success in Paris.
She has picked up just two WTA titles since her run in Paris and at one point fell outside the top 80 of the rankings, though is now ranked 43rd after an encouraging end to 2019. Ostapenko picked up her second top ten win on clay earlier today after Kiki Bertens third-set retirement in their match in Strasbourg and said after the match she hoping to continue her resurgence up the rankings.
“I always knew I could be at that level,” said the Latvian. “I’m getting slowly back there. I can get back to top five and win another slam. That’s what I’m working for just now.”
Ostapenko will play her quarter-final match in Strasbourg tomorrow under the guidance of new coach Thomas Hogstedt. The Swede has worked with the likes of Maria Sharapova in the past and has recently split with Johanna Konta following a short-lived partnership.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner