“I believed I was very close” Roger Federer on how he didn’t lose motivation during Grand Slam drought
Roger Federer failed to win a Grand Slam trophy for 4 1/2 years but has said that throughout the time he “enjoyed the practise’ which helped keep him going and eventually he started winning Slams again
Roger Federer was speaking to friend and former world No.1 Gustavo Kuerten when he opened up about the difficult period in his career from 2102 to 2017 when he didn’t manage to add to his tally of Grand Slam singles titles.
Federer was honest in his appraisal of this period explaining that Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal were both playing exceptionally well but Federer was still enjoying his tennis and had a good team in place which helped him to keep his spirits up and not lose his motivation.
**Sorry to interrupt but did you know you can order a FREE COPY of tennishead magazine (worth $15) to be sent direct to your home? Hurry up and click here to order the world’s best tennis magazine for free as stocks will run out soon!**
Kuerten asked Federer, ” What did you do to stick with it (during the time)” to which he replied,
“I think when you look back on the 4 1/2 to 5 years when I didn’t win a Slam people almost make it sound like I was plying terribly. I had a tough year in 2013 with a lot of back pain which was a big problem for me that maybe cost me a few chances to do better at Slams, but that’s how it goes as everybody has ups and downs. I actually thought I was playing very well.
“I won the Davis Cup and reached a number of Grand Slam finals but honestly it was the time of Novak Djokovic, and Rafa Nadal was keeping a lock on the French Open, so it was difficult to slide in a special victory. But I was able to keep pushing because I believed I was very close”
Roger Federer has won 20 Grand Slam singles titles. After the gap from 2012 to 2107 he won 4 more Grand Slam singles titles.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner