‘I asked Roger Federer why he was so good, and…’ – Toni Nadal recalls revealing insight from Swiss star
Roger Federer puts his incredible tennis career down to getting ‘lucky’ with coaches as a child, Toni Nadal has claimed.
Toni Nadal himself is something of an expert in developing top class tennis talent after he nurtured his nephew Rafael Nadal into teh player he is today.
And he says Federer shares that belief that your first tennis coach is arguably your most important, no matter how talented you might be.
“I’ve always listened to learn from the best,” said Toni Nadal.
“So one day I asked Roger Federer why he was so good. He told me that he was lucky to have a great coach when he was little.
“I had the opportunity to ask Johan Cruyff the same thing, and he told me that he had always been very good, but that the key was to have a good coach who taught him a type of game with players older than him, and that when he played with those of his age, he had to apply it.”
No player has won more men’s Grand Slams that Roger Federer, who has 20 to his name. Rafael Nadal has 20, while Novak Djokovic is just behind on 17.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner