‘He’s improving every day’ – Matteo Berrettini impressed with Russian star ahead of US Open rematch
Matteo Berrettini has hailed Russian star Andrey Rublev as the pair prepare to meet for a US Open rematch on Monday.
The duo met at the same stage of the competition last season, with Berrettini coming out on top on his way to the semi-finals.
However, the last twelve months has seen both players impress immensely on the ATP Tour, and Berrettini is expecting a different kind of test this time around.
“I mean, it’s going to be a rematch, same round,” Matteo Berrettini said.
“Like we said, different conditions, different US Open, but I think we are two different players now.
“We improved a lot, both. I think he started the year like crazy, he won two tournaments in a row.
“He achieved so much. He’s been improving every day, every week.
“It’s going to be really tough. I think he has great weapons. He’s serving well. Forehand and backhand, they are great, like, weapons.
“Same time, he’s moving good. He can play on clay, on grass, on hard.
“For sure he likes to play here in New York. Like I said, we know each other pretty well. It’s going to be tough, because we know each other really well.
“But at the same time, we’re going to find new weapons, new ways to get the other one in trouble.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner