‘He never takes a point off!’ – Former WTA star explains what makes Rafael Nadal such a special talent
Rafael Nadal ‘never takes a point off’ according to Lindsay Davenport, who has branded the Spaniard a ‘marvel’.
Nadal, at the age of 33, became the oldest ever world number one at the end of last season after winning two more Grand Slam titles to take his career total to 19.
He is right back on the trophy trail this year too, and won his 85th career title in Acapulco just before the coronavirus forced tennis to shut down.
And he has found an admirer in former WTA world number one Davenport, who says he has something very special that few others possess.
“I dare anybody to say they have seen Rafael Nadal take a point off trying his hardest [or] a practise [off] trying his hardest,” Davenport told the Tennis Channel.
“I just marvel at how he still has that motivation. Getting into his mid-thirties, he’s just as motivated now as he was in his teenage years.
“Normally that is what takes players out of the game. They can’t call on that reserve energy to get through tough practises day in and day out.
“They lose their zest for going to tournaments and going through the grind of the tour.
“But you see Rafa and you hear him [say] ‘I love this. I want to be here more than anywhere else in the world’.
“When you watch him play, it is that motivation, that inner desire that seems deeper in him than most other players we have ever seen.
“We are so lucky that he chose our sport and he’s still in our game.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner