‘Everything was stacked against me!’ – Racket-smashing Shapovalov delivers furious Roland Garros rant
Denis Shapovalov made a bad-tempered exit from Roland Garros on Thursday, smashing a racket before venting his fury at a whole host of elements of the tournament.
Shapovalov lost a 7-5, 6-7(5-7), 6-3, 3-6, 8-6 epic to Spaniard Roberto Carbelles Baena, but very little appeared to satisfy the world number ten.
“These conditions were completely stacked against me,” Shapovalov said.
“It’s impossible to hit a winner with these balls. In my opinion, it shouldn’t be that heavy and that difficult.”
He was also incensed that a line-call at a crucial stage of in the fifth set went against him.
A shot from Carballes Baena was called in, and that call was backed up by the chair umpire upon inspection of the ground. Hawkeye, which is there for TV purposes only, claimed it was out.
— Denis Shapovalov (@denis_shapo) October 1, 2020
“When will we have Hawkeye on clay?” Shapovalov wrote on Twitter while posting a photo of the decision.
Next on the Canadian’s list of complaints was the scheduling which demanded he play a doubles match too quickly after his singles defeat.
“Scheduling is absolutely awful,” Shapovalov told reporters. “After a five-hour match I have to play doubles now. It’s just like, it’s just complete trash scheduling. It’s disappointing.
“I mean you’re in a Grand Slam and I don’t want to sound spoiled, but you expect at least some help from the tournament to help you compete.
— TennisBuzz (@TennisBuzzBlog) October 1, 2020
“How am I supposed to come out and play doubles now after a five-hour match? It’s a first round as well, they could have scheduled it way better.”
Last, but presumably not least, Shapovalov took aim at the tournament organisers, who he has accused of failing to provide bio-secure accommodation for players.
“Honestly I think they’re not doing a good job,” he said. “There’s really no bubble, especially in the second hotel, I heard,.
“You can leave the hotel, you can go to the city, there’s no problem, there’s nobody stopping you.
“New York was done way better.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner