‘Every little thing makes me crazy’ – Self-isolating Serena Williams lifts lid on coronavirus anxiety
Serena Williams has opened up on her extreme coronavirus ‘anxiety’ as the realities of social distancing hit the 23-time Grand Slam winner.
Williams was one of the first tennis stars to reveal her plans to deal with the global coronavirus outbreak, confirming she planned at least six weeks of self-isolation at home with her family.
However, in an update posted of TikTok, she says the everyday anxiety is starting to really affect her.
“It started out with me feeling like ‘oh it (coronavirus) can’t really affect me’,” Williams said.
“And then suddenly Indian Wells was cancelled and I was like ‘oh ok that’s weird but I have a little time off and I’m going to enjoy that time off’.
“One cancellation led to another and another and then all this anxiety that I’m feeling.
“Now I’ve been social distancing for a really long time, like two weeks, and now every little thing makes me crazy.
“And by anxiety I mean I’m just on edge every time anyone sneezes around me or coughs. It’s crazy.
“I don’t hang out with anyone so when I say anyone I mean, my daughter.
“She coughed, I got angry and gave her a side-eye. I gave her that ‘angry Serena’ and then I got sad.
“I was like ‘is she ok? Is there something wrong with my daughter? Is there anything I can do?’ I just don’t know what to do, so instead of being relaxed and I’m really under a ton of stress.
“I never expected to be relaxed but it is what it is. We’ll get through this, we have to and I just wanted to update you on what I was doing.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner