‘Thiem will be easier to beat at US Open than he is on clay,’ says semi-final opponent Medvedev
Dominic Thiem will be ‘easier’ to beat on hard court than he is is clay, says Daniil Medvedev ahead of facing the Austrian at the US Open.
The two favourites for the competition will meet at the semi-final stage after both coming through their quarter-finals in straight-sets on Wednesday.
Thiem absolutely dismantled the Russian on the red dirt of Barcelona in 2019, but Medvedev is hopeful of a slightly easier ride this time around.
“Yeah, Dominic is a tough opponent to play, especially of course on clay,” Medvedev said. “I got to feel it last year in the final of Barcelona.
“On hard I think it’s a little bit easier, but in a way. When I say “easier,” he just made final of Australian Open.
“For me it will be easier for me to play him on hard courts than clay courts.
“He tries to turn around with a forehand and just to go for it.
“I think there is not much you can do than just to try to actually face it and see what you can do with it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner