Dominic Thiem ‘looks strong and is really focused’ says coach ahead of US Open campaign
Dominic Thiem is in a strong position to challenge for this year’s US Open title says coach and former Olympic tennis champion Nicolas Massu.
The current world number 3 has only reached as far as the quarter finals in the US Open previously, but has been getting close to his grand slam dream reaching the finals of the French Open two years running and the Australian Open earlier this year.
With many of the high ranking players withdrawing from the US Open in recent weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic, this has elevated Thiem’s chances even further and he enters this year’s slam as the second seed for the first time in his career.
Although Thiem hasn’t played an ATP tournament since the Rio Open in February 2020, he has kept momentum by playing in various exhibition matches across Europe winning 25 out of 28 matches which coach Massu thinks will make a difference.
“It was a good thing for Dominic Thiem because he wanted to play matches and loves the competition. I think that will help him in New York,” he said.
“He’s playing well, looks strong and is really focused. He has even more motivation now because he’s used to a busy calendar with a lot of tournaments in a normal season.
“He’s one of the players who always has a chance to win when he plays a tournament. He’s No. 3 and in the Top 10 for the past five seasons because his results are very consistent.”
“Working with Dominic is a big motivation for me because he’s a great player and an unbelievable person. He’s really educated, he listens and always gives 100 per cent. It’s unbelievable as a coach because you only need to tell him what you see on the court.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner