‘I’m always Team Djokovic – his opinions are usually right,’ says Serena Williams on breakaway plans
Serena Williams has hinted she could be persuaded to join Novak Djokovic in his breakaway Players’ Association, although not for the moment.
Djokovic divided tennis last week when he resigned from the ATP Players Council to form a new organisation amid claims players need to seize greater power in the sport.
That move has been met with strong opposition from many other players, including Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and Andy Murray, and was criticised for not including women in their initial breakaway.
The world number one may find a powerful ally on that front in Serena Williams, though, who admits she is very keen to learn more.
“I would be really interested to learn more about what everything is about because I feel like I can’t really have an opinion unless I understand more deeply.
“I’m obviously always Team Djokovic, but at the same time I’ve been on the WTA Tour for 30 years and I know a lot of stuff that’s happening there.
“I would like to… yeah, I can’t really comment on that.
“I do feel he (Novak Djokovic) has some very strong opinions that are often true. Yeah, I would just have to wait.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner