Defending Vienna Open title will almost be ‘mission impossible’, claims Thiem
World number three Dominic Thiem has described his defence of the Vienna Open as being ‘almost’ mission impossible given the strength of the draw – and the arrival of a certain Novak Djokovic.
The Austrian returns to competitive action in his home country this week, hoping to defend his maiden Vienna Open title.
However, he faces a line-up this year that includes no fewer than six top 10 players, including the world number one. Djokovic himself has already described the draw for the this year’s competition as being “the hardest ATP 500 draw of all time”.
Speaking to atptour.com, Thiem echoed the thoughts of the male’s leading player, claiming that the draw “this year is unreal”, and “probably the best ATP 500 tournament ever”. Yet Thiem believed the draw was tough before Novak was even confirmed to play – “It was strong, and then Novak arrived and it got unreal”.
With Djokovic’s arrival, the Austrian believes that defending the trophy could be one of his greatest challenges. As Thiem himself puts it, “defending the title is not mission impossible… but almost”.
This is not simply another ATP 500 tournament for Thiem. Winning back-to-back titles in the capital of his native homeland will be huge for him. He has admitted that winning the title in 2019 was a “childhood dream come true”.
Nishikori lies in wait as his first-round opponent. The likes of Wawrinka, Rublev, and Sinner follow as potential obstacles en route to a second successive final (where he is likely to meet Djokovic).
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner