Daniil Medvedev: ‘Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic make it tough to get to the top’
Daniil Medvedev says Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, and Roger Federer make it ‘complicated’ to reach world number one.
Medvedev has finished the season incredibly strongly, winning the Paris Masters and then the ATP Finals.
It has been enough to see him finish 2020 ranked number four in the world – a career high year-end finish for him.
However, while he naturally harbours ambitions to reach the very top, he is realistic about how tough it will be.
“It’s still a long way to get to the top of the line [in the ATP World Rankings],” Medvedev told TASS.
“You have to complete the season better than all the rest to become the World’s No. 1 and sometimes 8,000 points can be sufficient but on other occasions 12,000 points are not enough.
“It all depends on me, the more tournaments that I’ll have like in Paris and London, the more chances I’ll get to top of the ATP rankings.”
“However, it will be more complicated to achieve this aim with Rafa [Rafael Nadal], Roger [Federer] and Novak [Djokovic] still locking horns on the courts, but I will try to do my best.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner