Chris Evert calls out Djokovic for ‘biggest ever’ rivalry assertion
18-time Grand Slam winner Chris Evert has corrected Djokovic over his claim that the rivalry he shares with Nadal is “the biggest head-to-head ever in the history of the sport”, following his defeat to the Spaniard in yesterday’s French Open final.
Djokovic was speaking after a heavy defeat to long-time rival Rafael Nadal in the final of Roland Garros.
Responding to the world number one’s assertion on Twitter, Evert reminded Novak that the rivalry between herself and Martina Navratilova was still officially the greatest in tennis history. Having faced each other a staggering 80 times, Evert and Navratilova remain some way ahead of Djokovic and Nadal, who have locked horns on the tennis court 56 times.
Chris Evert was one of the most successful players of all time, winning 157 singles championships (including 18 Grand Slams) and 32 doubles titles.
Evert’s Tweet was also mentioned by tennis legend Billie Jean King, herself a winner of 12 Grand Slam titles.
— Chris Evert (@ChrissieEvert) October 11, 2020
— Billie Jean King (@BillieJeanKing) October 11, 2020
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner