Cameron Norrie to play third round of a Grand Slam for the first time
British No. 3 Cameron Norrie takes on Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in the third round of the US Open after overcoming Argentine pairing Diego Schwartzman and Federico Coria in his opening two matches.
The Brit now carries the weight of British hopes on his shoulders alongside Dan Evans after Kyle Edmund and Andy Murray were eliminated in the second round by Novak Djokovic and Felix Auger-Aliassime.
Norrie, who only turned professional in 2017, caused arguably the biggest upset of the US Open so far as he battled past 9th seed Diego Schwartzman in his first-round match. The World No. 77 found himself two sets to love down after just over an hour and a half before showing his grit and determination to fend off two match points and win the next three sets 6-2, 6-1, 7-5 to oust the Argentine.
The Brit followed up his win with a comfortable victory over Federico Coria, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 to reach the third round of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career.
However, Norrie now faces a tough challenge in his next encounter against 21-year-old Davidovich Fokina, after the Spaniard caused an upset of his own to defeat 24th seed Hubert Hurkacz in four sets.
This contest will be the first meeting between the two players, with Norrie possessing more experience on the Grand Slam stage than his opponent, who had just one main draw victory to his name prior to this event: “I just feel a little bit more settled and a little bit more experienced when I’m serving for these sets, thinking, ‘I’ve done this before”, Norrie said.
Both players will be bidding to reach the second week of a Grand Slam for the first time and Norrie fancies his chances of making the fourth round, “I think I’m more ready than ever. I’ve never played some of my best tennis at slams so it’s nice to get through and I think the five-set format suits me well.”
Dan Evans is the only other remaining Brit in the competition, with his match against Frenchman Corentin Moutet firmly in the balance at 1 set apiece and 6-5 on serve in the third.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner