Australian Open chief ‘confident’ Roland Garros and Laver Cup can settle coronavirus spat
Craig Tiley, the tournament director of the Australian Open, says he is ‘optimistic’ that the French Open and Laver Cup can resolve their spat brought about by the coronavirus outbreak.
The world’s struggles to contain the coronavirus pandemic saw the original May dates for Roland Garros wiped out, forcing them to reschedule for September.
However, their new dates have created a direct conflict with the Laver Cup, who are refusing to reschedule themselves.
It has produced a fractured and bitter backdrop to the tennis political landscape when the various powers in the sport feel they should be coming together instead, and Tiley believes a resolution will be found.
“I am not in the shoes of the French Tennis Federation so I can’t comment on decisions they make.
“I am confident it will eventually work out. At this point the Laver Cup is planning to go ahead. There was not communication in it, but I am not in their shoes.
“We are in a different world right now. We have got to be in a position where we help and support each other.
“We are confident that this will resolve itself in the future. There is going to be many changes in the calendar as a result of this.
“The Grand Slams are amongst the most watched sporting events globally.I am highly optimistic.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner