ATP Finals Preview: Stefanos Tsitsipas
Defending champion Stefanos Tsitsipas will look to retain his ATP Finals title later this month after another impressive year on the tour.
Despite a disappointing Australian Open losing to Milos Raonic in the third round, the World No 6 responded well to win his only title of 2020 in Marseille before losing to Novak Djokovic in the final of the Dubai championships shortly after.
During the lockdown, Tsitsipas performed well in the innovative Ultimate Tennis Showdown event as he topped the group ahead of Richard Gasquet and Matteo Berrettini.
On his return to the main tour, Tsitsipas lost in the third round of a Grand Slam for the second time in succession after losing to Borna Coric in five sets at the US Open despite leading throughout.
The 22-year-old made a smooth transition to clay, reaching the final of the Hamburg Open before losing to Andrey Rublev in three sets in one of the main precursors to Roland Garros.
Tsitsipas secured his best result to date at the French Open after he avenged his earlier defeat to the Russian to reach the semi-final before losing to Novak Djokovic in a thrilling five-set encounter.
However, Tsitsipas has struggled in recent weeks, losing to Grigor Dimitrov in Vienna before exiting the first round in Paris against Frenchman Ugo Humbert.
The Greek has also been troubled by a leg injury which forced him to pull out of the doubles of the Paris Masters ahead of the ATP Finals, which could put his title defence in jeopardy.
|Titles this season||1|
|Year to date prize money:||$1,744,544|
|ATP Finals appearances:||1|
|ATP Finals titles:||1|
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner