ATP Finals Preview: Dominic Thiem
US Open Champion Dominic Thiem has qualified for the ATP Finals for the fifth successive year as he bids to win his first title.
Dominic Thiem started the year in promising fashion at the Australian Open, defeating Rafael Nadal and Alexander Zverev in four sets before falling short in the final to World No 1 Novak Djokovic in a thrilling five-set encounter.
During the shutdown, Thiem was one of few players to continue playing as he played exhibition matches on home soil in Austria as well as competing in the Ultimate Tennis Showdown event in June.
The regularity of Thiem’s tennis evidently paid dividends at the US Open, with the Austrian defeating Daniil Medvedev in the semi-finals before recovering from a two-set deficit to beat Alexander Zverev and win his first ever major title.
Following his maiden Grand Slam victory, Thiem was beaten by Diego Schwartzman in a five-set thriller in the quarter-finals of Roland Garros, with Thiem looking fatigued after his exploits in New York.
Thiem’s most recent appearance was at the Vienna Open as he aimed to defend his title on his return to home soil. However, Thiem was beaten by World No 8 and eventual winner Andrey Rublev in straight sets at the quarter-final stage.
Thiem enters his fifth ATP Finals full of confidence after winning the most recent Grand Slam on the hard court surface. Thiem enjoyed a successful tournament in last year’s event, though fell short to Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final.
|Titles this season||1|
|Year to date prize money:||$5,163,876|
|ATP Finals appearances:||4|
|ATP Finals titles:||0|
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner