ATP Finals line-up confirmed as Diego Schwartzman clinches the last spot
The end of season ATP Finals line-up has been confirmed with Diego Schwartzman securing the last spot, despite his Paris Masters quarterfinal defeat.
Schwartzman will make his debut at the prestigious tournament which takes place 15-22 November at The O2 in London.
The Argentinian joins fellow debutant Andrey Rublev of Russia, alongside Novak Djokovic of Serbia, Spain’s Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem of Austria, Russia’s Daniil Medvedev, Germany’s Alexander Zverev and defending champion Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece.
After an impressive season, Schwartzman only needed to win his quarterfinal match against Daniil Medvedev in the Paris Masters to qualify for the ATP Finals which he failed to do.
He then had an anxious wait to see how Pablo Carrena Busta faired in his quarterfinal against Rafa Nadal as he was the only player who could challenge for the final place.
Carrena Busta took the first set, but wasn’t strong enough to hold off Nadal’s comeback, handing the London finals to Schwartzman who showed his delight on twitter.
LONDRES 🚶♂️🚎🚄✈️ alla vamos!!!
— diego schwartzman (@dieschwartzman) November 6, 2020
Andrea Gaudenzi, ATP Chairman, said: “This has been a season unlike any other and all the players that have qualified for the season finale deserve huge credit.
“In its 50th anniversary year, the event will once again showcase the top ATP players and will also bring an incredibly successful twelve year stay in London to a close.
“While we wish our fans could be with us for the final year at The O2, we thank them for their passionate support via broadcast and digital channels, and look forward to a thrilling week of tennis.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner