ATP Finals ‘intends’ to go ahead as usual in November, but restrictions likely
The ATP Finals in London will be the finale to the drastically disrupted 2020 season, although it may have to happen behind closed doors.
A revised calendar, including three Masters events and two Grand Slams, has been confirmed up until early October, but it remains unclear what the final part of the season will look like.
This year is London’s last opportunity to host the event before it moves to Turin, and there seems genuine commitment to making sure it goes ahead.
“Our intention remains for the season to finish with the Nitto ATP Finals in London, including the potential scenario of the event being held with reduced or no fans on-site in line with UK Government guidelines,” an ATP spokesperson told the Daily Mail.
“We are working on the final section of the provisional 2020 calendar and expect a further update by the end of July.”
One event that has fallen victim to the coronavirus pandemic is the Swiss Indoors.
The competition has a rich history with both Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka generally making it a priority on their schedule, but there won’t be a 2020 edition.
“The coronavirus pandemic has forced the cancellation of the third-largest indoor tennis tournament in the world, scheduled to run from 24 October to 1 November,” organisers said in a statement.
“The ATP has formally agreed to Basel’s request to cancel the tournament. As early as mid-June, the Swiss Indoors organisers determined that, in view of the current medical, social and economic uncertainty, it would be irresponsible and logistically difficult to go ahead with the tournament.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner