Andy Murray ‘would love to see Rafael Nadal on court’ as he accuses tennis of missing a trick
Tennis is ‘missing a trick’ by not putting on more mixed teams events such as the Hopman Cup, says Andy Murray.
The Hopman Cup was cancelled in 2020 in favour of the ATP Cup, but in 2019 it featured Roger Federer and Serena Williams playing mixed doubles against each other.
Murray himself has teamed with Serena Williams, in the mixed doubles at Wimbledon last year, and is currently taking part in the Battle of the Brits team tennis tournament, in which mixed tennis also features heavily.
“I think sports miss a bit of a trick with this stuff,” Andy Murray said.
“The Hopman Cup, for example, was a brilliant event in my opinion. The players enjoyed it.
“It sometimes had a little bit of an exhibition feel in some of the matches but that would be my only criticism.
“I played there a bunch of times and I loved it. It was a great event.
“Putting match-ups in tennis like Serena Williams and Roger Federer on the same court, it is so brilliant for our sport.
“We are able to do that in tennis and I think we should embrace it a little bit more, not necessarily every single week but at times it would be great.
“I would like to see Rafael Nadal on the court with some of the top female players.
“When I watched Roger and Serena playing, it was great. They were into it and I’m sure they enjoyed it as well.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner