Andy Murray favours Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals
2016 ATP Finals champion Andy Murray picks Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic to feature in this year’s final.
Murray thinks Novak Djokovic will battle past Dominic Thiem in the first of the two semi-finals and will face his familiar foe Rafael Nadal in the final.
Speaking in a Twitch chat with French star Gael Monfils, Andy Murray believes Djokovic took a step up in his victory against Zverev following his earlier defeat to Medvedev.
“From what I saw the intensity was different. After the match with Medvedev it became a straight knockout and he [Djokovic] was going to put everything into that match.
“I’m hoping he [Djokovic] carries that into the knockout stages. For me, he’s still the favourite for the event.”
The Brit has said that he expects the match between Nadal and Medvedev to be hotly contested, but believes Rafael Nadal will prevail in his bid to win his maiden ATP Finals title.
“I think this is a very close match. For me, either of them are a good pick for this match. It could go either way.
“It’s funny how tennis works. A few weeks ago you probably would have taken Rafa and then two weeks later that changes based on Paris and how Daniil has played so far this week.
“I think I’ve got to take Rafa. I think I need to take Rafa in that match. I could say Daniil but I do think it’s a close match and I’ve seen Rafa win many matches over the year in these sorts of tournaments.
“Like I said at the beginning of the week, I think he’s [Nadal] very motivated to win the tournament and he played well, maybe not as well in the first two matches but he deserved to win against Stefanos [Tsitsipas].”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner