Andy Murray can ‘do some damage at the US Open,’ says mum Judy Murray ahead of Grand Slam return
Judy Murray believes Andy Murray can ‘do a lot of damage’ at the US Open after his impressive showing at the Western and Southern Open.
Andy Murray beat Frances Tiafoe and Alexander Zverev before falling to Milos Roanic in round three, but he looked more like his old self than ever before in terms of his movement.
And that, according to mum Judy, is an ominous sign for rivals going into the US Open.
“Seeing how well he was moving, because his game is built around his impressive court coverage and never-say-die attitude, how physically well he was moving and also how smart he was, there was a lot to be excited about,” Judy Murray said of Andy.
“It is very early days, it fees like there are good signs that if he remains fit and healthy he can do a lot of damage.”
This year both Andy and Jamie Murray will have to do the business without the in-person support of their mother, though, as the Covid situation means she will not be making her usual trip.
“I usually go to the US Open,” she added. “I love New York and we have been going since 2003 when the boys played in a junior event there.
“It is the highlight of the tennis calendar because I love the city.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner