‘Andy Murray and I despise each other, but he defends like a spider-like God,’ says ATP star
Fabio Fognini says he and Andy Murray ‘despise each other on a tennis court,’ but added the former world number one ‘defends like a God.’
In a new autobiography, My Life Between the Lines, Fognini has lifted the lid on his experiences of the people in tennis, and he has had plenty to say about Murray.
“Andy Murray was arrogant since young age,” world number 13 Fognini wrote. “A guy all lobs and dropshots, tricky shots designed to mock you.
“Murray and I never got along. We are two hotheads and we lose our cool pretty quickly. When we are on court we despise each other.”
Despite his struggles to connect with Murray on a personal level, Fognini also cannot but help to admire him as a player.
“Murray is an incredible player. He moves magnificently and as a spider he can reach everywhere. He also defends like a God.
“It’s like being on a highway knowing that the only way to reach the destination is to go 200km per hour.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner