Alexander Zverev promises US Open will ‘get very interesting’ following Novak Djokovic exit
Alexander Zverev says the US Open is about to get ‘really interesting’ as the NextGen players scramble to take advantage of Novak Djokovic’s disqualification.
Without Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in the draw, Djokovic was the overwhelming favourite to win an 18th Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows.
However, with Djokovic now out of the running, there will be a new men’s Grand Slam winner instead.
“There’s going to be a new Grand Slam champion,” Alexander Zverev said on his chances of winning a maiden slam.
“That’s all I know right now. There’s no past Grand Slam champions left in the draw.
“It’s going to be one of the young guys, I think, if you count Dominic Thiem as a young guy, as well. He obviously has a chance to win, as well.
“Now it gets interesting. Now I think is the time where it gets really interesting.
“I know who is where in the draw. I know who I can play. I know who the rest of the guys can play.
“We’ll see where we go from here.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner