Alexander Zverev ‘extremely happy’ to beat Kevin Anderson and reveals his new secret weapon
Alexander Zverev was ‘extremely happy’ to have got through his tough US Open first round match against Kevin Anderson.
The German came into the tournament on the back of a disappointing loss to Andy Murray at the Western and Southern Open when he double-faulted himself out of the match whilst serving for it.
Anderson, a former US Open and Wimbledon finalist but who is not seeded due to a rough recent time with injuries, was always going to a be difficult first test for someone.
That test was given to Zverev, and he came through it 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.
“I am actually quite happy with a first round like that,” Alexander Zverev said after the match.
“Kevin is not someone you usually play in a first round. This is a fourth round, quarter-final, semi-final match normally against him. I am extremely happy to be through.”
Zverev was particularly impressive at the net, and he says that’s something he has been working on.
”[My volley] is something that I worked on in these six months,” said Zverev.
“It was my serve, my volleys that I worked on. In the [Western & Southern Open] match, I thought I did those two things well until the really important moments and I wanted to do it differently to finish off the match today.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner