‘I truly apologise that the focus has shifted away from tennis,’ says Alexander Zverev
Alexander Zverev says he ‘truly apologises’ for the impact the allegations over his personal life is having on tennis.
The German is the subject of accusations from a former girlfriend, although she has said she has no intention of starting a legal process.
Zverev has strenuously denied the allegations on his social media accounts, and he has now reiterated that position to the press.
“Many people have asked me why I kept my mouth shut, why I didn’t say anything,” Zverev told reporters in London.
“While I very much regret that those accusations are made, I have to stick to my initial thing of them being untrue and continue to deny them.
“These accusations are just unfounded and untrue. We had our ups and downs but the way our relationship is described in the public is not how it was. That’s not who I am, that’s not how I was raised by my parents.
“It makes me sad the impact that such false accusations can have: on the sport, on the outside word, on myself as well.
“I truly apologise that the focus has shifted away from the sport.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner