Alexander Zverev adds Spanish legend to coaching team with trial period already underway
Alexander Zverev is to welcome former French Open finalist David Ferrer to his coaching team on a trial basis.
Ferrer had a glistening career before retiring at the Madrid Open last year, reaching number three in the world at one point in 2013 – an achievement made all the more remarkable given the era in which he did it.
Zverev, meanwhile, has struggled to justify his long reputation as the leading up-and-coming player on the ATP Tour, and has probably been overtaken by rivals Stefanos Tsitsipas, Daniil Medvedev, and Dominic Thiem in the rankings.
He has been blighted by accusations of lacking professionalism at times, and only last week was pictured partying when he was supposed to be self-isolating after the Adria Tour suffered a coronavirus outbreak.
However, Ferrer had a reputation as a player for being arguably the most professional player on the circuit, so both players could benefit greatly from his mentoring of Alexander Zverev.
Marca report Ferrer has travelled to Monte Carlo to begin a 15-day trial working with Zverev, who is currently coached by his father.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner