Alexander Zverev backed to ‘go all the way’ and make major Grand Slam breakthrough by legend
Alexander Zverev has been backed to take advantage of the ‘unpredictable’ nature of this year’s US Open and reach the final by compatriot Boris Becker.
Zverev once had a reputation for failing at Grand Slams, but had a breakthrough at the Australian Open this year where he reached the semi-finals.
He has looked in commanding form in his first two matches in New York too, and top Eurosport expert Becker believes he could be ready to come of age.
“I think it’s probably the most unpredictable Grand Slam we have seen in years,” Becker said.
“Yes, Djokovic is the favourite but everyone needs matches, needs confidence so anything could happen including Alexander Zverev going all the way.”
Zverev has recently started working with Spanish legend David Ferrer.
Some have suggested that may have much to do with the German’s more authoritative demeanour at Flushing Meadows so far, but Becker has urged patience.
“I think it’s a bit early to say we can see signs that he has been working with David Ferrer.
“I think the person he’s missing most is his father, he got Coronavirus and he was very ill, so I wish him good health.
“I think the plan for David Ferrer was that he was always going to start for the clay court season which is obviously just after the US Open.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner